– MAD ContributorFreak Sylvia Cochran
Branding is the art and science of creating a corporate or product image that elicits a semi-Pavlovian response in the consumer. The shopper sees your brand among competing products, drools slightly, and becomes a buyer. Ask any entrepreneur about the importance of brand building, and you are likely to receive enthusiastic agreement. That said, there are three branding mistakes that even the most well intentioned business owners sometimes fall into. Are you one of them?
- Forgetting the Package Appeal of the Brand
Although your brand is largely represented by the logo displayed on your craft beer bottle, for example, it is far more than just a one-dimensional image. It is also the artwork that hints at the quality of the content, the website address that connects to a completely different world of marketing messages, and the small Facebook icon that encourages consumer interaction with your brand on social media.
2. Focusing on a Select Consumer Group Only
Advertising your brand to a targeted demographic is good and well, but when you narrow down your audience to such an extent that you exclude the majority of consumers, your brand will not receive national attention (if that is your intention). Sure, you may build a dedicated following of a niche, but when these consumers age out of your demographic profile, you may not be able to sustain the brand appeal even there.
3. Failing to Put Together a Strategy
There is more to branding than ordering a logo design and commissioning graphics that become labels. You need to have a strategy to position your brand advantageously in the market. A few ways (and there are many) to achieve this feat:
• Seek out a certain type of spokesperson (perhaps a celebrity)
• Invest in cohesive point of purchase displays and other in-store marketing pieces that give your product a preferred shelving setup
• Find a way to create an emotional attachment to the brand that then translates to the products that carry it.
If all this talk about branding has you wondering what you can do to step things up, contact us for more information on the process. Our experts look forward to partnering with your business and helping its brand succeed.